The Tales of La Llorona

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Tales of La Llorona

Image from Diario Correo

Image from Diario Correo

Image from Diario Correo

Image from Diario Correo

Rebecca Calderon, Author

On April 19th, the movie ,”The Curse of La Llorona” will be officially released. The movie takes place in the 1970s, where a small family has to protect themselves from an evil spirit called La Llorona, who wants to take their children.  Many of you are probably wondering what the heck this thing is and why it’s written off as so scary, so I took it upon myself to give you the details of this scary Latin story. Thank me later when you can show off your knowledge of the lore after the movie.

Growing up in a Mexican household, my mom often used scary tales from when she was little to scare us into behaving. Anything from El Cucuy to La Malinche. Thinking back, this is likely the reason why I’m so paranoid.

There are many different versions of La Llorona’s story. I’ll be telling you the most common, horrifying, gruesome, and frightening one that I heard at the ripe age of five.

Once Upon a Time…

There was a lovely woman called Maria. Maria came from a poor village and was constantly working to help her family. One day, a very rich and handsome nobleman came across her path and it was like love at first sight. He proposed to her, much to his father’s disapproval. Fueled with rage and disappointment in their son, the nobleman’s parents refused to house Maria or spare any of their riches. Left to their own devices, both Maria and the nobleman built a small home in the village and began to start their own little family.

Soon, Maria welcomed two baby boys to the world and their lives were perfect. Well…almost. You see, Maria was absolutely love-struck with her husband and constantly prodded for his attention when he was home. The nobleman was constantly traveling for work and before the boys arrived, Maria had him all to herself. But things change, and with the arrival of the children left the nobleman’s attention for his wife. Maria was absolutely outraged at her husband’s blatant favoritism for her children and spoke to him about this issue. When her husband didn’t change his ways, Maria decided to take matters into her own hands.

She walked her boys to the local river and she returned home without them. When the nobleman arrived at his home and found out what Maria had done, he (rightly) went into a fit of rage (as anyone would.) He left that psychopath with a heart full of grief for his lost children. Maria was saddened, angry, frustrated, and alone. That loneliness would soon be the death of her as it was too much for her to bear.

Disturbed souls rarely make it to heaven. She now wanders all over the globe in search of her lost children. Some say because of her rage and agony she takes any child she sees in a desperate attempt to put her soul at rest. She is commonly seen wearing a white dress with long black hair covering her dirty face. The most prominent feature, however, is the fact that her feet never touch the floor. She floats alongside riverbanks and parks crying, “Mis hijos! Ay mis hijos!” (*My Children! Oh My children!*)

There have been many reports of La Llorona luring men and children to their deaths in every country. Some say she radiates a sense of motherly peace to younger children and takes them; many have never returned. The “Weeping Woman” has claimed lives all around the globe and no one has yet stopped her. So no matter how loud she wails, or how trustworthy she may seem, do not approach the weeping woman.

Rebecca Calderon, Writer

Hey, I'm Rebecca. I was born and raised in Canoga Park, California with my older brother and little sister. I love reading and watching any show that crosses...