BirdBox Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

BirdBox Review

Image from IMDb

Image from IMDb

Image from IMDb

Image from IMDb

Rebecca Calderon, Author

Another Netflix movie went viral this week, but don’t worry, this one is actually good! (Unlike the Kissing Booth fiasco. Like, why was that movie necessary?) The movie is called Birdbox, which I’m assuming you already know since it became a recent meme and is the title of this article.

The movie centers around Malorie, portrayed by Sandra Bullock, and her two kids trying to survive in a world where opening your eyes has fatal consequences. If you open your eyes, an entity makes you harm yourself to the point of death. While it wasn’t specified who or what that entity was, what we do learn is that this being makes you see your greatest loss, provoking massive pain to those who see it.

Let’s start with the cons of this movie, shall we? There seem to be a lot of disorganized time jumps between the start of the chaos and the present. We are constantly being shown scenes of Malorie’s journey in the most inconvenient and illogical times. There were also a lot of plot holes that leave you wondering, but not enough to warrant a whole sequel. I don’t know about you, but not getting the complete side of the story especially when the scene hardly contributes to the plot frustrates the heck out of me. And while the movie itself classifies itself as a horror film, I tend to see it more as an intense thriller/mystery type genre.

For the pros: I loved the concept of the movie. I think all the actors gave a great performance. However, I’m still curious as to how they got the iconic queen Sandra Bullock to act for a Netflix movie, given it’s cringy reputation. (*Ahem*, The Kissing Booth, *Ahem*)  Did I like it? Yes. Would I recommend? Sure! But was it so amazing that I wept real baby Jesus tears at the end? Nope.

The movie was actually based on the novel, by Josh Malerman. So if you prefer to read it, go nuts my dudes.

Final Score: About a 7 out of 10. Would force my family members to watch it with me.

Rebecca Calderon, Writer

Hey, I'm Rebecca. I was born and raised in Canoga Park, California with my older brother and little sister. I love reading and watching any show that crosses...