Student Showcase: Ghost Light

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Showcase: Ghost Light

Image from Pexels

Image from Pexels

322076001573

Image from Pexels

322076001573

322076001573

Image from Pexels

The following short story is a piece of flash fiction written by Annelise Anderson. The imagery throughout the story is extraordinary. Her writing style created a vivid and unique setting that affected the characters and the overall mood. The story itself is less than 600 words, therefore the fact that it contained depth in so few words proves that Annelise has an exceptional talent for writing. The idea is creative and the story is perfect.  

Ghost Light

I followed Trevor to the prop table backstage and attempted to calm his nerves as he prepared to go onstage. “You’re a darling actor and play this role beautifully. Now go out there and break a leg. I’ll be around if you need me,” I whispered. He took a deep breath and marched onto the stage. I shadowed him quietly, watching how he transformed under the lights. He was so good at getting into character, but he always had trouble in a certain area of his lines.

As usual, he paused at a certain moment, and I knew he had forgotten. I whispered the line into his ear and he continued the scene confidently. He would get it eventually. I glanced around and glided across the stage, helping people where they needed it. If someone forgot a dance move or a prop or a costume piece, I was there. I was onstage and backstage and in the booth giving ideas to the directors or stage managers or costume designers.  They did most everything themselves, I just gave a little advice here and there.

Rehearsals ended for the day and slowly the auditorium emptied. I watched as Marci walked to the back of the house. She went to the booth and turned off all the lights, except for one dim light that left a soft circle on the stage. She knew many of us stayed after their rehearsals. We liked to have a chance to perform the way we used to. She always had someone leave that one light on, and I loved her for that. She looked out at me and left the theater.

I stepped on the stage and my eyes met Charles’, the scene partner I had been fondest of. He smiled at me and held out his hand. I smiled back and took it, and like clockwork the orchestra played my favorite song. As we waltzed across the stage others joined us, and I noticed people filling in the auditorium seats. They were once theatre-goers, or actors themselves, and I supposed a lot of them were lonely, missing the art they were once so full of.

I was the one who had been in this theater the longest, and I could never bring myself to leave this place. My whole life had been spent here, singing, acting, and dancing for an audience. It was a place that connected so many people to each other, taught each of us how to be more empathetic, showed us what it was to be human. I spent my entire life in this art. So why wouldn’t I want to be here in death, with all the people who made me who I became?

We danced all night and when the morning crept upon us, the audience members nodded at us and left. We put every prop and costume back and prepared for all the live actors coming soon. I looked at the clock in the left wing. The directors would arrive in a few minutes. I paced the empty space then sat in a chair. Perhaps I’d sit back and watch this time.