High School Dropouts – Part 3

Ireneusz Skorupa

Ireneusz Skorupa

Kenzie Kidman, Writer

How does the unemployment rate differ for high school dropouts outs, high school graduates, and college graduates? Well, I found statistics from The Bureau of Labor and PolitiFact to help me answer this question.

The average high school dropout has an unemployment rate of 7.9%. That may not seem very high, but compared to a high school graduate and a college graduate, the number is pretty big. The average high school graduate has an unemployment rate of 5.1%. That means that 2.8% of our country’s population could have jobs if they would just graduate from high school. The average college graduate has an unemployment rate of 3.8%.

So now that we have compared unemployment rates, let’s look at the annual income difference between high school dropouts, high school graduates, and college graduates. The average high school dropout will earn around $19,000 a year. The average high school graduate will earn around $28,000 a year. That is a difference of $9,000 per year just for graduating high school. The average college graduate will earn around $51,000 a year. I mean, if you don’t like money, then you should definitely drop out of high school! This is just the starting salary of an average college graduate. Over the course of a career, the college graduate will make nearly 2 million dollars more than a high school dropout. If you drop out of high school, you are guaranteeing yourself less money…if you can even get a job.

Years ago if you dropped out of high school, it wasn’t that bad; you could still make a decent living and you had more options with jobs than you do today. Now it’s almost impossible for a high school dropout to get a job that pays well enough to support a family, if you are lucky enough to get a job. Even high school dropouts who go back to school and get their GED will still have a more difficult time than high school graduates. All these things considered, it’s still your choice but staying in school is the most beneficial option. So when school gets hard, remember it’s worth it!