Sydney Worley a Sterling Scholar

Saylor Funk

Sterling scholar. What is a sterling scholar? Well, a sterling scholar is a high school senior who is recognized and awarded for their excellence in leadership, scholarship, and citizenship in the state they live in. A potential sterling scholar has a portfolio of their work in an extremely specific category. They are interviewed by judges in their different fields at different times. Sterling scholars are awarded at the high school, semi-final, and final levels.

I recently had the opportunity  to interview a sterling scholar, Sydney Worley, about her outstanding accomplishments. Sydney is a senior who is proud of what she has achieved in her high school career.  When I asked her, “What’s it like being a sterling scholar?” she replied, “First of all it’s just an honor because it shows you’ve worked hard in a certain area and that you have really accomplished a lot.” Sydney has been a busy bee this past year. I asked her about some of her greatest achievements and this is how she answered: “One thing that I guess relates to English is I actually published a poetry book. It’s called Full Bloom…it was awesome to me to experience the whole becoming an author and actually publishing a book.” Sydney is a person who loves to research and was accepted to U.N.C. Chapel Hill in North Carolina for their research program. However, she wants to go to University of Utah for her undergrad and then go to U.N.C. for medical school.

Sydney has had a year full of amazing accomplishments. She earned her place as a sterling scholar, published a poetry book, and got accepted into a great college. Sydney is an intelligent, kind, hard-working student. We can only imagine what great things she’ll do in the future.